Round 6 2018 @ Dandenong Thunder SC

A win against Dandenong Thunder SC would see Avondale FC claim their sixth consecutive win to start the Season 6 wins from 6. The winning streak would see Avondale FC break another club record in 6 consecutive wins playing in NPL Victoria.

At the week prior Avondale took on NPL1 outfit Werribee City FC at Galvin Park Reserve in their FFA Cup Round 4 match. With team running out victors 3:0 and progressing to the next stage of the competition, it was not without cost as Dillon Jakupi suffered a nasty knee injury which will sideline the athletic fullback for the next two months.

Going into the game against Dandenong Thunder Avondale would need to be without Jakupi and an injury sustained to Joey Katebian in training the previous week would also mean that he would need to miss the match.

The two changes paved way for club Vice-Captain Jonatan Germano to come back into the squad after missing the last 3 matches with a calf injury and talented youngster Christian Inglese. With Katebian missing it gave Stefan Zinni another opportunity to come back into the starting XI and impress.

With a long travel to George Andrews Reserve and place where Dandenong Thunder are very strong with good support, Avondale knew the round 6 match was not one to be complacent. After Dandenong Thunder secured their first victory in Round 5 it was clear that the club had turned around their performances from their 2:9 loss to South Melbourne FC.

The game started exactly that, with Dandenong Thunder sitting deep and waiting for the forced error from the in-form Avondale team. Keeping their two forwards high and bombing the ball long at every opportunity the pairing of Ross Archibald and Ramazan Tavsancioglu had a lot of work to do running back toward the goal to snuff out any danger.

On the attack when the Avondale boys managed to break through the stern defence the Dandenong Thunder keeper was able to pull off some miraculous saves to keep his team in with a chance.

As the attacking chances for Avondale continued to mount, it was a hit crossbar that nearly put us in front from a wicked Kaine Sheppard free kick. Shortly after Stefan Zinni nearly put the visiting team in front, but somehow the Dandenong Thunder keeper was able to keep the ball from going underneath him.

An attacking run from livewire Elvis Kamsoba saw him break down the defence and with cutback in the box it was able to find Evan Christodoulou, and with a hard and vicious left foot strike, he was able to smash the ball into the inside of the netting to break the deadlock and give Avondale FC a 1:0 lead going into half-time.

As the second half progressed and fitness entered the game, it was Dandenong Thunder who managed to get themselves back into the game, by creating those chances with their long balls forward in front of a strong home crowd support.

A flashing run from their attacking midfielder gave Dandenong Thunder their best opportunity to score in the game, after a whipped ball was put into the box, the midfielder looked for a destined tap in, but guided the ball just wide as the crowd was in disbelief on how it missed, many believed it had gone in.

As the game opened up in the later stages there were a few opportunities to put a second and third goal, but Avondale was unable to take those chances and settled for a 1:0 win and three points away from home at a tough venue to travel.

The attention now turns to a Round 7 match against Oakleigh Cannons FC on Friday night at our temporary ground, Paisley Park, with a 20:15 kick off.

In Round 5 of the FFA Cup competition, last week Avondale FC were drawn away to FC Bulleen Lions.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *