Round 21 2018 @ Pascoe Vale FC

For the second Friday night in a row, we were on the road again, this time a little closer to home, taking on Pascoe Vale FC at CB Smith Reserve, Fawkner.

A disappointing result at the end of last week’s match meant that the club was fired up not to make the same mistake twice. One of the in-form teams of the competition, Pascoe Vale FC knocked off league leaders Heidelberg United FC only two games prior.

With players returning from injuries, Avondale FC’s squad is again starting to resemble that of the first week of the season.

Chris Oldfield made his return, and it turned out to be a pivotal selection as some saves gave Avondale FC a fighting chance throughout the first half.

The big talking point was the first 40 seconds of the game. Where Avondale FC’s first attack gave Elvis Kamsoba space to run, and an expertly finished ball meant that Avondale FC raced to a 1:0 lead before the first minute.

The quick start gave Avondale FC much confidence, and in the 20th minute, it was Joey Katebian getting himself on the scoresheet with a well-timed volley from outside the box. The keeper managed to get his hand on it, but it wasn’t strong enough to keep the ball out, and Avondale FC raced out to a 2:0 lead early.

The Pascoe Vale FC squad quickly turned the momentum around after the two early goals, and some shots on Avondale FC’s goal meant that Oldfield needed to be on top of his game to keep the attacks out.

In the 38th minute, however, Oldfield’s goal was breached with a well struck curved ball from the Pascoe Vale FC player, which gave the 2:1 scoreline. It wasn’t long after the goal before the Pascoe Vale FC scorer saw a rush of blood and elbowed an unknowingly Ross Archibald. The elbow meant that the referee had no other choice than to give his marching orders.

With Pascoe Vale FC down to 10 men going into the halftime break, it was always going to be an uphill battle for the home side.

The second half wasn’t much of a spectacle for the neutral supporter as the ball travelled in the air more times than not. With both sides having chances in the second half, neither was able to take and at the final whistle the score remained 2:1

With Pascoe Vale FC sitting behind Avondale FC in fourth, the win means that Avondale FC gets some breathing space and close the gap on second. With five rounds left in the season and with games against the top two sides above, anything could be possible.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *